The last article is about how Facebook enables the church to market itself through their members’ network of friends. We discussed how members can use Facbook to live out their church and tell their buddies about Christ and their church in a natural, non-invasive and, above all, free way.
Therefore, I thought this post I would list some ideas of ways your members can do this. I’d encourage you to bring this up with your church members and encourage them to actively use Facebook to promote your church and share the love of Christ with their friends.
Here are some ways your members can promote your church and tell others about Christ through Facebook:
1. Post comments about doing church activities in your “what are you doing right now” feature.
2. Post pictures from church events.
3. Blog about church sermons or Bible studies. If the member has a blog, they can have it syndicated in their Facebook profile.
4. Syndicate the church’s blog in your profile.
5. Post videos from church events.
6. Add church events to your profiles, “Events” application.
7. Become a “fan” of your church’s Facebook Page.
8. Comment about how Christ is working in their life in relation to a church Bible study
9. Announce up coming church events and invite their friends.
10. Use the Inbox to personally invite friends to church.
This is just a short list of things your members can be doing to actively (if not subtly) market your church. The more people see their friends excited about the church and actively involved in the church, the more interesting it will seem and more likely they will be to come visit the church or at least attend an event.
So, encourage your members to talk about the church and talk about their faith in Facebook (and any other social network sites while they’re at it). It’s easy, it’s free and it may be more helpful than the next pack of snail mail flyers your church sends out. It may even allow them to lead a friend to Christ.
Remember, the more members that participate and the more your members post about your church Facebook, the more exposure your church will get. It’s exponential.
Kurt Steinbrueck is the author of the Church Marketing Online blog. He has been providing Christian search engine optimization services for church marketing solutions and private school marketing. The original article at http://churchmarketingonline.com/2009/02/is-your-church-social-part-13-facebook-church-marketing-by-members/ .